Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Differentiated... Blogs?

Differentiated instruction is a must. It is even more crucial when working with students with learning differences and needs.

Even in the business world, brands for products and services look to differentiate themselves. Where do they fit into the huge marketplace?

After starting this blog last evening and a good night's sleep, I woke up and thought to myself, "But there are already so many good speech and language blogs out there... what makes mine different? Where is my niche?"

Some excellent blogs focus on a specific area, like Jill Kuzma's Social & Emotional Skill Sharing Site.

Others share ideas through their products, like the ever-creative Jenna Rayburn of The Speech Room News.

Still others focus on certain audience, like Mommy Speech Therapy.

All of these blogs are run by incredibly talented speech-language pathologists. I love following their sites and learning from them. But what can I contribute that is unique?

Then I thought about pie... a good pie is made from the basics. Flour, sugar, salt, eggs, fruit...

So on my blog, Speech Pie, I have decided that my twist is going to be about getting "back to basics." While I think products and programs absolutely have their place in the speech-language world, I also believe effective therapy can be conducted using whatever is already in your room and some imagination. Sometimes my best sessions are those that use less "stuff."

I hope you find my ideas useful! Please feel free to comment and share your ideas as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment